Thursday, June 21, 2007

The $64,000 Question

How exactly did I manage to lose almost 130 pounds?

The answer is simple. I ate less and exercised more. We all know that answer. We've been told that for as long as we've been asking how to lose weight. But maybe that's not the real question you were trying to ask.

Maybe the question you really want to know the answer to is "How did you manage to lose so much weight and stick with it long enough to reach your goal without quitting or giving up?" Of course, there is always the unasked companion question, "And how can I do it, too?"

A more complex question usually requires a more complex answer. Unfortunately, I don't have one. All I have to offer is another question.

"How much do you want it?"

When I asked myself that question several seconds after making the decision to lose weight, my answer was, "Bad enough to do whatever it takes."

In my case it took joining Weight Watchers, following the program they provided, being very strict and honest with myself, owning up to my shortcomings, and deciding that giving up was not an option. I also allowed for some occasional indulgences, but under no circumstance did I allow them to get out of control.

To this day, 14 months later, I am still doing whatever it takes. The only thing that has changed is my goal. Instead of losing weight, my goal is to now keep it off. For as long as I possibly can.

Do you want to lose weight?
How much do you want it?
Will you do whatever it takes?

Of course, the most difficult part is figuring out what will work for you. For me, it was a combination of Weight Watchers, a deep desire to get rid of the excess baggage, and a lot of hard work.

I wholeheartedly recommend that you give Weight Watchers a try. It worked for me, it might work for you. Then again, it might not. It may take you some time to find what works. Hell, it took me over 20 years!

But please realize that no program will work for you if you don't have the desire and are afraid of working hard for what you want.

Do you want to lose weight?
How much do you want it?
Will you do whatever it takes?

Get to work!

1 comment:

Andrew is getting fit said...

Ooh, this is my new favourite post!