Thursday, June 21, 2007

Dinner, 6/20

The pantry at home was a little bare last night around dinner time. We hadn't been out food shopping in a few days and I didn't want chicken for dinner, so I went rummaging through the freezer to see what I could come up with.

I found a bag of cooked and cleaned shrimp and the remains of several bags of frozen vegetables. That was basically all I needed to get started. While I can follow a recipe as well as the next guy, I usually am at my best in the kitchen when I just start throwing ingredients together.

I started off by defrosting the shrimp under cold water then pinching the tails off and cutting the shrimp in half. Then I preheated the skillet on a high heat and added 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil.

Once the oil was hot I dumped in some minced garlic (I used a lot - I like garlic!) then added the frozen vegetables. I used an oriental mix, diced green peppers, diced onions, and broccoli pieces. Then I started tossing in the seasonings - fresh cracked black pepper, ground ginger, and red pepper flakes. I didn't have any bay seasoning on hand, but I think that would have been good for this dish as well.

Once the veggies were nice and hot, I added the shrimp and let them heat through. On the side I cooked a red potato in the microwave, sliced it up and covered it in salsa.

All told, I went from not knowing what I was going to eat for dinner to serving a very satisfying Core dinner in about 20-25 minutes. Not too shabby, wouldn't you agree?

No comments: