Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to all you Dads out there!

This morning my son and I participated in the Run 4 Your Life 5K Run and Walk in Philadelphia, benefiting prostate cancer research and awareness. I don't enjoy running, so we both did the walk. The course started near the Philadelphia Museum of Art and wandered onto the West River Drive. Actually it's Martin Luther King Drive now, but it was the West River Drive when I lived in Philly, so that's how I refer to it.

Before the walk we stopped at a diner while still in Jersey and grabbed some breakfast. I had a nice Eggbeater omelet loaded with veggies, a fresh fruit cup instead of the home fried potatoes, and some wheat toast, all washed down with some hot black coffee. It doesn't get better than a good meal with good service! And I didn't even miss the potatoes.

So we walked along the Schuylkill River and had a blast catching up on some quality time. We don't get to do much together like that these days, as most 17 year olds seem to have their own lives going on. It was definitely a great Father's Day outing for me, even factoring in the parking ticket I got for being stupid enough to listen to a local's parking advice.

Later this afternoon, dinner will be at a local restaurant that we haven't been to since the kids were toddlers. I'm really looking forward to it, and I think I feel a nice surf and turf dinner looming in my future. The best part is that I'll probably be able to turn that into two meals now!

All in all it's turning into a great Father's Day. I hope yours is just as good!

No comments: