Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Alternatives To Healthy Junk Food

I'm not a real big fan of 100 calorie packs. I call them "healthy junk food." I've had some on occasion, and they can help with a sweet tooth, but ultimately they leave me wanting. I'd much rather have something with a little more "umph" to it.

Turns out I'm not alone. Over at MedicineNet.com, there's an article about 100 calorie packs and 22 healthier alternatives.

Some excerpts:

American Dietetic Association spokeswoman Marisa Moore, RD, likes 100-calorie products for their portion control, convenience, and ability to satisfy a sweet tooth. But because many of these snacks lack fiber, she says, they won't stave off hunger for long.

"The 100-calorie snacks lack staying power, and as a result can lead to premature hunger and a higher calorie intake in the end," she says.

She'd rather see people choose snacks that provide needed nutrients while taming hunger. For example, she says, "in only 160 calories, a serving of almonds is satisfying and provides heart-healthy fats, fiber, and calcium."
The article goes on to say:
Dietitians agree that the best snacks satisfy hunger while helping meet our daily dietary needs, especially for fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy.

"Look for snacks that contain protein with healthy carbohydrates and fats, and eat your snacks slowly so they fill you up," says [Baylor nutrition professor Suzy Weems, PhD, RD].
Sounds pretty sensible to me.

The entire article can be found here.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

And, at least for me, I'm not eating the fruits and vegetables that are packed with all the good stuff every time I reach for one of the packs of processed goodies. I do love my 100 calorie pack microwave popcorn, though!

Jake Silver said...

I try to find 100 calories of something decent, too! Like an apple, or a bag of popcorn (the 100 cal single serving), maybe some yogurt, wasa crackers and Lite cheese, string cheese, nuts, etc...

TB--Milwaukee said...

It seems that fruit fills the bill much better than those little tiny bags of 100 calories. Not a big fan myself.

Skinny Guy said...

I have to admit, I don't think I could make it without the mini bags of 94% FF popcorn! And fruit, too.