Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Attitude Is Everything

"It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect its successful outcome."

William James
1842-1910, Psychologist, Professor and Author


I'm not a psychologist and I'm not one to sign on to every "feel good" fad that comes down the pike. However, I firmly believe that the above statement is a basic truth when it comes to how people deal with things.

I can't tell you how many times that I've faced difficult, unpleasant tasks over the course of my life. As I look back on them, I can't help but notice that the ones I faced with enthusiasm and an open mind are the ones that seemed to be the most successful, the ones that seemed to be finished the soonest, and the ones that I remember having the most pride in.

For example, when my wife and I first moved into our house, there was much work to be done. Painting, landscaping, and all the usual grunt work that accompanies turning a new house into a home. None of these projects were what I would call easy or pleasant, but because I knew I was working on something that was important to my wife and I and would benefit us greatly, I had an excellent attitude going in and the results showed it.

Of course, there have been other projects that haven't gone as well. Not all of them were disasters because I had a bad attitude, but I guarantee you that the ones that I faced with a bad attitude are not fondly remembered by this household. Unfortunately, some people that live here will not let me forget them.

And so it goes with weight loss. I knew going in that losing weight, especially the amount I had to lose, was not an easy thing to do and that keeping it off was even tougher. I knew that I didn't want to go on a diet, that I really needed to change my entire lifestyle as far as food was concerned. Otherwise I was going to die, or worse, be crippled, probably before I hit 60.

So I decided that I was going to do whatever it took. Once I decided to follow Weight Watchers, I was going to follow their plan with no "tweaks" or "cheats" that might take me off course. I opened my mind to a new way of eating. And when there were occasions that called for it, I did allow myself some indulgences without feeling guilty about them, no matter what the results of the scale were.

My attitude allowed me to accept what I had to do, and each success I had allowed me to build on that attitude and gave me the willpower to continue. It was the most important part of my success. It allowed me to know, on Day One, that I would eventually be what I am today, a lifetime member of Weight Watchers.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Attitude is so important. Being positive and enthusiastic makes the journey so much more pleasant. It will never work if you are dragged kicking and screaming and lamenting your bad fortune every step of the way. You are an inspiration!