Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Broken Appliances, Ice Cream, and Me

Why doesn't anything break at a convenient time?

We had a late dinner this evening and while we were eating there was some laundry going through the washer and dryer. The dryer stopped before the cycle finished, and every time we went to restart it, it ran for about 3 minutes and cut out again, even after we gave it a chance to cool down.

Of course, everything was needed for the morning, so off to the laundromat I went with two loads of wet laundry. I arrived about 8:40 pm and dropped both loads into one of the big front load dryers, deposited my quarters for 15 minutes worth of spin time and waited.

It turns out that 15 minutes of spin time was all I got. When I opened the dryer after the timer went off, it was completely cool inside, the contents still as damp as when they went in. Did I mention the place was supposed to close at 9 o'clock?

The attendant let me run the stuff in a different dryer for a half hour or so, the first 15 minutes on their quarters. That got the laundry dry enough to transport home and be put on hangers to dry the rest of the way.

So now we get to play repairman tag and run back and forth to the laundromat to dry our things until our machine gets fixed. I know that these kinds of things happen to everyone on a daily basis no matter where you go, but I usually don't get around to remembering that until after the situation is resolved to some degree and I've had a chance to relax. Thank goodness I'm not as bad as I used to be. I'd probably be going on about it for a few days...

The only real effect that this had on me food-wise is that instead of having the bowl of fresh blueberries I was planning for my snack tonight, I allowed myself some comfort food in the form of an Edy's Slow Churned No Sugar Added Vanilla Almond Ice Cream Bar. I think it takes longer to say it than it did to eat it!

Edy's Ice Cream is probably one of my favorite summertime indulgences, and as far as indulgences go, this really wasn't a bad choice. It was a self-contained portion, and at 190 calories, 9 grams of fat, and four grams of fiber, it certainly didn't do much damage to my weekly points allowance. Besides, comfort food isn't necessarily a bad thing. Like anything else, it's when you abuse it that you run into trouble.

So instead of the getting the post I had started to think about writing earlier in the day, you got to listen to me whine a little bit tonight (assuming you made it this far). I apologise for that, dear reader, and promise that it won't happen again.

Until something else breaks.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Hate the broken dryers and love the ice cream myself...all is forgiven. If you can't whine about a miserable experience like that on your own blog...where can you do it? And it certainly is relevant since a lot of us eat to relieve the feelings of just such frustrating events.

Skinny Guy said...

I forgot to mention that the dryer got fixed the next day, and all is now well in the world.