Thursday, July 26, 2007

Dinners Past And Present

I really enjoyed my dinner tonight. It was a last minute, easy to fix meal that left me quite satisfied. It got me to thinking of some of the things I used to eat on a regular basis, and I must confess, I am definitely not that person anymore!

For tonight's meal, I sauteed up some fresh diced bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes in canola oil, then crumbled up half of a previously cooked 93% fat free hamburger pattie and added that to the mix.

In another pan I started a three egg omelet, then poured in the filling mixture when the eggs were ready and added some shredded fat free cheddar. I also toasted up a light multi grain english muffin that I topped with some fat free margarine.

For dessert I cut up some strawberries, an apple and a peach, added some blueberries and mixed them in with some fat free plain yogurt with a little artificial sweetener for taste.

To be fair, I've also enjoyed this dinner in the old days so many pounds ago, only with all full fat ingredients. And the dessert probably wasn't quite as healthy.

One of my more typical meals from back then would probably make me sick today, especially if I tried to finish it.

For example, one of my quickie meals from when I was working part time at night was some take out from Micky Dee's. A supersize Quarter Pounder with Cheese meal, complete with the supersized french fries and the large diet Coke was a popular choice.

And when you grow up in the Philly area, another staple is the cheese steak sandwich. My "usual" was a mushroom cheese steak hoagie, with mushrooms, fried onions, hot peppers, lettuce and tomato. I'd also get some cheese fries, which were served in one of those metal take-out tins. They would fill it with fries and melt some mozzarella cheese on top. Of course, I'd wash that down with a diet Coke as well.

More often than not, I'd have two or three of those a week. It's sobering to think of how I abused my body with food.

I'm just thankful that I don't do that anymore.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

It can be pretty shocking. We used to go through a pound of butter a week and now I still have the pound that I bought for baking last Christmas. I never did do the baking and it is untouched. That change alone has made a huge difference in my weight and lipids.

TB--Milwaukee said...

I always looked forward to that #2 meal at Mickey D's. Haven't had one in several months and I'm sure it wouldn't agree with me anymore.

Sounds like a good meal.