Sunday, July 15, 2007

Escape Velocity

Escape velocity is popularly understood to be the speed an object needs to achieve in order to leave, or escape, Earth's gravitational pull. In general terms, to escape Earth's gravity, you need to accelerate to about 7 miles per second, or 25,200 miles per hour.

I think it takes about twice that to get me up off my rear end.

To quote the first half of Sir Isaac Newton's First Law of Motion:

An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external and unbalanced force.
That's me in a nutshell. It has been all my life.

To be sure, there have been bursts of activity here and there, especially since I started Weight Watchers last year. I even belonged to a gym for a while. It just seems that I always drift back to an inactive state.

That's part of the reason one of the goals I set as part of my Labor Day Challenge was to walk 3 days per week. Since setting the goal, I haven't gotten out to do any walking. Until today. Which was the last day to begin walking and still have a chance to meet my walking goal for the first week of the challenge. It certainly wouldn't look good, or feel good, to miss one of my goals in the first week, would it?

Object at rest, meet external force.

So I got up off my rear, went outside, and walked for 45 minutes. Actually, I only walked for 35 minutes. Those other 10 minutes? An alien life force took over my body and made it run for 10 minutes.

That's the only explanation I can come up with, because I don't run. I can't stand running as a matter of fact. So it had to be aliens.

So now I just have to make sure I get out and walk on Monday and Tuesday. And I need to watch out for those pesky aliens.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Your post is TOO FUNNY...would you mind directing some of those aliens to the west side of Indianapolis? Tell them they can find me in my "hunker down" chair.

Mystic Kitty said...

Great post! Happens to me all the time now. Funny, once they start taking you they starting coming more often. Maybe it is a Vegas thing and our close proximity to Area 51.

Skinny Guy said...

Well, I was safe from the aliens today. Maybe they were in Indianapolis... I just need to keep an eye out for them tomorrow.