Sunday, July 22, 2007

Finally Home!

We're finally back from our busy weekend. The last 48 hours were pretty hectic and not very conducive to healthy eating, but I did my best, and think I was fairly successful.

We went to Massachusetts to retrieve our son, who had been up there for the week. After traffic stretched our drive out to six and a half hours, we arrived, packed up his stuff and drove down to Groton, Connecticut where we stopped for the night.

For dinner we drove to nearby Mystic, where we ate at the famous Mystic Pizza, the setting of the 1988 movie of the same name. I had half of a small veggie pizza, which I estimated to be about the same size as two regular pizza slices. I also enjoyed some Mystic Seaport Pale Ale with my pizza, which tasted very good and complimented the pizza very nicely.

Come morning, we stopped in a local establishment for breakfast, then went into North Stonington, just north of Mystic for Stonington Winery's Wine and Food Festival.

It was a little early in the day and we did have to get back on the road shortly, so we skipped the wine tasting. We did sample a lot of the different foods and treats that were there. I even brought home a jar of horseradish mustard that was particularly tasty.

A weekend of driving over 700 miles round trip and somewhere close to 12 hours in the car may not have helped my efforts to stay on track, but I think I maintained enough control that any damage on the scale will be minimal, and I couldn't hope for more than that.

No comments: