Thursday, July 5, 2007

My Story, Part One

Hutchdaddy over at Hutch Off The Cuff just posted a short summary of his weight loss journey so far, so I thought I'd do the same.

I never remember being anywhere near thin growing up. I always remember needing husky clothes, and even though I remember playing outside a lot, I was never what you could call athletic. There was also a lot of emotional/stress eating back then, as my parents had divorced when I was 4, and I was never very comfortable around the man that eventually became my stepfather.

In high school I was smart enough academically to take enough classes to avoid having to take gym throughout my four years there. My interest in aviation had me considering the Air Force Academy at one point, but I was put off by the fitness requirements.

By the time I graduated, I was about 5' 9" tall and weighed about 215. I remained in that neighborhood through a few semesters of college, then aircraft mechanic school. In the meantime I met this young lady who captured my fancy, and in 1982 we announced our engagement.

As the wedding date drew closer I was determined to look good in my tuxedo and began a diet of my own design in order to drop 40 pounds. I also started working out with the RCAF 5BX Program and by the time of the wedding in October of 1984 I had reached my goal of 175 pounds and I looked and felt great.

Unfortunately, I thought my work was over at that point and began falling back into the old habits. My new bride's wonderful Italian cooking skills and my own love of cooking didn't help my waistline at all, and the weight started coming back.

At one point, I don't remember when, I tried the Atkins diet and lost 50 pounds in three months. I stopped because I just couldn't continue eating that way any more. I'm glad that it works for some people, but I just couldn't do that for the rest off my life.

(This is turning into a longer post than I anticipated, so I'm going to stop here and post Part Two a little later.)

No comments: