Sunday, July 1, 2007

Parties and Holidays and Cook-outs, Oh My!

I had a great time at a graduation party yesterday, in spite of the lack of many diet friendly foods. Some people would stress out in this situation, while others might just throw caution to the wind.

But with a few simple precautions, you can navigate any occasion with a minimal amount of damage.

First and foremost, remember that you're going there for the people, not for the food. Spend time talking and hanging out with the other people there, don't just hover around the food table.

Make sure you don't go there hungry. Have a small meal before you get to the party. If you get there hungry, you're more likely to pig out on everything you see.

Be very selective in what you do eat. Most of the items you run into at these events are the same things you'll find at every party you attend, so there's no need to sample every one of them at every party! Pick one or two special dishes that you don't run into every time and try those. After all, the rest will probably be at the next function you go to.

Alcohol is fine, but just remember moderation. If you're at the party to get drunk, then I guess you're not really worried about your weight. If you can't have one or two drinks without having a third or fourth or more, consider not having any. Not only do the calories in alcohol quickly add up, but you will also soon forget about your eating plan as well. Plan wisely.

And even if you do go a little overboard, don't beat yourself up over it. Don't dwell on it. Acknowledge what you did and turn it into a learning experience. Most importantly, get back on the plan with the very next bite that you eat! I can't tell you how import it is to not let one bad meal turn into two bad meals or act as an excuse to get completely off tract for a few days or even a week!

These are just some of the things I've learned since I started losing weight last year. I hope they'll come in handy for you, too.

By the way, at the party I attended yesterday, I probably had one helping too many of the roast beef, I enjoyed the two beers I allowed myself, and sampled two small homemade desserts that were delicious, and I still managed to stay within my plan. It can be done, you just have to do it!

No comments: