Sunday, July 8, 2007

Today Was A Great Day

Part of my Sunday routine is spent getting ready for the work week. Cooking and packing my work lunches, making sure I have enough oatmeal packed for my breakfasts, running out to the store to stock up on fresh fruits and vegetables, and discussing with my wife what the dinner menu will look like for the rest of the week.

More often than not, something comes along that decides your to-do list wasn't all that important anyway. Fortunately, when it happened today it was for a good reason and not for any kind of family emergency.

One of my son's buddies was at the beach today and invited my son to come down and spend some time hanging out with him. The beach in question is about 45 minutes away from our place, and we were to be his transportation to and from said beach. We decided to make an outing of it instead of a 90 minute round trip to drop him off and a possibly longer round trip to pick him up considering it was the end of a holiday weekend.

After we dropped off my son, my wife and I set out for the boardwalk. It was a hot, crowded afternoon as only a Sunday afternoon at the South Jersey shore can be. Not only was it crowded with people, it was crowded with all the usual temptations. There was salt water taffy, fudge, caramel popcorn, funnel cake and all manner of other gooey and tasty treats. The path to hell may be paved with good intentions, but it sure looks a lot like the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk when you're trying to keep your weight under control!

I only succumbed to the temptation once, when we stopped for a slice of pizza at one of our favorite boardwalk institutions, Mack & Manco's. I knew I could stop at one slice of pizza, especially at $2.00 a slice, and after I got that taste for some kind of treat satisfied, the other options weren't as tempting after all.

Before long it was time to head back, and we got home around 9:15. My planning for the day was shot, but I was able to spend a great afternoon walking the boards with my wife. I was still able to throw something together for Monday at work, have a great day down the shore, and not let all the temptations there affect me. Today was an easy day for me. I know they won't all come this easy. But the longer I do this, the more I believe that I can keep doing this for the rest of my life.

No comments: