Friday, August 31, 2007

5 Foods That Helped Me Lose 130 Pounds

Earlier today I found myself reviewing some of my food journals from the last 16 months and noticed several foods that kept showing up. Relying on these foods really helped me get to my goal weight and are still an important part of my maintenance plan.

Here are the top 5 foods from my journals that helped me reach my goal weight:

#1. Oatmeal - I've always loved oatmeal, but used to save it for the winter months. Besides, I could get some nice, greasy egg & cheese sandwiches at the cafeteria in work. But now oatmeal is a year round staple for me. A serving of oatmeal with some cinnamon and a splash of skim milk is now my preferred way of starting every morning.

#2. Yogurt - There was a time when I couldn't even think about eating yogurt. Why would I want to eat something with live bacteria in it? But one day I tried some of my wife's Dannon Light & Fit flavored yogurt and was hooked. These days I'm a big fan of fat free plain yogurt mixed with fresh fruit. Good stuff!

#3. Apples and Bananas - Since I started Weight Watchers I began drastically increasing my fruit intake. I eat a lot of different fruits now, especially when they're in season, but apples and bananas are like nature's fast food. They're convenient, not very messy and require no preparation. Perfect to take with you anywhere, and they are easy to find year round.

#4. Frozen Vegetables - I've also become quite the veggie eater, especially in the summer months when the Garden State really lives up to its name. But when I'm packing lunches for work or need to make a quick, easy dinner, frozen vegetables are worth the weight I lost in gold.

#5. Subway Club Sandwich - Living all my life within shouting distance of Philadelphia has helped me develop quite a taste for that Philly tradition, the hoagie. While no one could ever mistake a Subway sub for a genuine Philly hoagie, I have found that it is close enough to at least tame my cravings for the original. And since the nutritional information is available at Subway's website, it is very easy to fit into any weight loss plan.

Honorable Mention - Water. Water. Water. At least 6 eight ounce servings a day, usually a lot more. It's helped me cut down my coffee consumption and all but eliminate my diet soda intake.

So there's my list. While I probably could have lost my weight without relying so heavily on these things, I believe that it would have been much harder to do so.

What foods do you rely on in your weight loss efforts? Please feel free to leave a comment and share your favorites!

5 comments:

David Dane said...

Super Menu there Skinny Guy, the same is true for me....

Kathy said...

Great list and a good idea to review old journals for patterns that work...I do it two or three times a year. I love all your choices. And when I'm having problems sticking to the program, I notice it coincides with my not eating a lot of fruit and vegetables. I think it would be impossible to make permanent healthy eating changes without building your food plan around vegetables.

skinnybitch said...

Green leafies are the secret to my success - kale, swiss chard, collard greens, mustard greens, spinach, and romaine lettuce all figure fairly prominently in my daily menus. They have very few calories but a lot of bulk, fiber and nutrition. You can't beat that!

Skinny Guy said...

Vegetables have definitely been one of the keys to my success.

Of course, once I published this post I started finding more foods that I could have added and realized I could have made this list 10 items long! Maybe I'll do an update post soon...

Thanks for stopping by!

TB--Milwaukee said...

Not a big oatmeal fan here. I have definitely relied heavily on the rest of your list. My list would also include 94%FF popcorn and definitely ice cream treats. I only eat them after I walk, but it motivates me to do the exercise.