Thursday, August 2, 2007

Does Food Matter To You?

I came across a question online today that got me thinking.

The question was, "Have you given up any foods that actually matter to you?"

I had a hard time coming up with an answer to that question. There are many different foods that I don't eat any more. There are some foods that I will occasionally taste. Sometimes I'll even have cravings for some of the old foods.

But have I given up any foods that actually matter to me?

I don't think that I have. Because if I gave up something that mattered to me, it seems to me that I would miss it, probably a lot. But I don't feel that way about food, even some of my old favorites.

I know food used to matter to me a great deal. I'm the guy that would have fought you over the last donut in the box. There wasn't a week that went by where I didn't have an entire parade of greasy, fatty meals with plenty of room for seconds.

When I committed myself to losing weight, all that changed. Not right away, of course. But over time I realized that being healthy mattered more to me than being obese. That I would rather buy smaller clothes, take less medicine, or do a lot of things that I was unable to do because of my weight, than have that last donut, or even the first donut.

Now, just like before, I eat whatever I want. What matters now is that what I want is a little different than it was before.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm quoting you today in my blog...loved that last line!

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog in your signature on the GOAD board on WW.com -- congratulations on your weight loss! It's inspiring for those of us who are just starting out.