Monday, August 27, 2007

F As In Fat, New Jersey Edition

You may have seen or heard about the latest obesity news item today. The one that announced that obesity rates climbed in 31 states last year and that no state showed a decline.

This was the fourth annual report put out by the Trust For America's Health, a group that, according to its web site, is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to saving lives by protecting the health of every community and working to make disease prevention a national priority.

I looked at New Jersey's rankings and some interesting numbers came to light. While 39 states had a higher percentage of their population that qualified as obese, this was the second year in a row that New Jersey had a statistically significant increase in the obese population, coming in at 22.2%.

In addition to obesity, the report also gave numbers for diabetes and hypertension. New Jersey didn't fare as well in these categories, ranking 27th highest in diabetes population at 7.3% and 22nd in hypertension population at 25.7%.

I used to be a triple threat, as I used to be a member of every category. Now that my BMI is under 24, though, I only contribute to the diabetes and hypertension numbers.

You can check out the full report at www.healthyamericans.org. How did your state do?

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Sometimes I wish I lived in one of the states where the weather is more temperate...they seem to be better for getting people outside and moving than the states like Indiana where there are extremes in temperature. I know the very hot or cold weather drives me inside where I am tempted more often and less likely to move from my comfy chair!

Skinny Guy said...

Surprisingly, 7 of the top 10 fattest states are in the South, so while the warmer climate would be beneficial to someone who is already active, it isn't a guarantee that everyone will take advantage of it.