Thursday, August 23, 2007

OMG! I lost 6 Ounces!!

So why was losing less than half a pound this week such a disaster, and why whine about it, especially when so many others would give their left arm to have a loss like that every week?

Let's talk about my weight loss goals. My official Weight Watchers goal weight is 169 pounds, which I reached back in May. When I hit lifetime status in June, I weighed just over 162 pounds. My own personal goal was to be solidly in the 160s, a few pounds below my Weight Watchers goal weight just to have a little leeway.

It sounds like I'm doing pretty darn good, right? Right! But during the last 16 months, the one thing I've learned is that it's all about the trends, not the individual weigh ins. And since I started this blog, the trend is down when it should be leveling off. I've had one week of no change, two weeks of gains for 1.2 pounds, and 7 weeks of losses for 4.8 pounds. That's a net loss of 3.6 pounds over the last 10 weeks when I should be maintaining my weight, or close to it.

I know that taken by itself, this week's loss isn't a disaster, and I have a long, long, way to go before I waste away to nothing. My doctor's been happy with my progress and so have I. I also know that I'll eventually get the hang of this maintenance thing and that the trend will level off.

It doesn't mean I don't get as frustrated as the next guy or gal when things aren't going as expected. And after all the extra-curricular eating in Atlantic City and Hershey Park this past week, I expected to be up a little bit. That's pretty much all there is to that.

So there's no real crisis here, just another blogger venting some frustration when the world doesn't conform to his expectations. Or something like that. Now excuse me while I go find something to eat...

3 comments:

TB--Milwaukee said...

Oh to have the problem of the "Skinny Guy." Not a bad problem to have, but I can see how it can be frustrating.

skinnybitch said...

Hi Skinny Guy,

I've struggled with the same problem. There was a point in February of this year when my weight was continuing to drop even though I was no longer trying to lose weight.

Since then, I've been working really hard to slowly increase my caloric intake to maintain my current weight. In my opinion, it's actually somewhat more difficult to do this than it was to lose weight. Yes, I get to eat more, but in the back of my mind, I'm always a little worried that it's a slippery slope that could lead to the resumption of old (bad) habits.

There's such a fine line between undereating and overeating. Trying to strike the perfect balance is bound to be tough.

R

Skinny Guy said...

It's definitely like walking a tightrope. It's something that few folks understand and even fewer are sympathetic to.

But I'm much healthier than I was 18 months ago, and I feel better than I've felt in years, so I guess that's all that matters.