Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Weigh In: Week 70

Last Week: 159.6 lbs.
This Week: 160.2 lbs.
Change: Up 0.6 lbs.

Starting Weight: 292.0 lbs.
Total Weight Lost: 131.8 lbs.
Starting BMI: 43.2 (Morbidly Obese)
Current BMI: 23.7 (Normal)

Started WW: 25 April 2006
Reached Goal: 15 May 2007
Started Core: 13 June 2007
Reached Lifetime: 26 June 2007

After four straight weeks of losses, I'm closing out August with a modest gain. I find it very amusing now how easy it is to get worked up over the numbers on the scale even after doing this for a while. I imagine that it will get better the longer I maintain my weight in the range I want to weigh.

When I was losing weight, I was very fortunate to enjoy a steady stream of losses, week after week. In the 62 weeks it took me to make lifetime, I only had gains five times, and of those, only one gain was unexpected. The other gains were caused by some very intentional overeating on my part. Trust me when I say my loss rate made me very popular with some of the members of my weekly WW meeting.

Expecting maintenance to be just as predictable was an oversight on my part. But this is new territory for me. When I've stopped dieting in the past, I reverted to my old eating habits. We all know what happens then. Now, I'm doing my best to make sure my new eating habits stick around for a long time and I need to realize that my body needs to adjust to that. After all, it's been through a lot in the last 16 months, and it will adjust on its own schedule and not because I or anyone else says it should.

2 comments:

Jake Silver said...

I spent all my life at 140 and then went to 170 in 2001, I hated it and worked hard to return to 140.

Then in 2005 I was back at 170. Now at 160s, I am struggling to get "the belly" off this time.

Hopefully I'll be on that maintenance adventure by this winter.

Skinny Guy said...

I was fat nearly all my life except briefly before I got married when I made it down to 175 so that I'd look good in the tux.

I don't ever want to go back to where I was. And I really hope you get to experience the maintenance adventure this winter, too. Good luck!