Friday, September 7, 2007

The 500

Today marks the 500th day since I started Weight Watchers. While it sounds like a long time, the time really does seem to have flown by. During these 71 ½ weeks I've learned a lot and gone though a multitude of changes, both physical and mental.

I've learned that I can do whatever I set my mind to do. That it's never too late to change. That it won't hurt to get up off my posterior every now and then. That I don't need to eat everything in sight before anyone else sees it.

I've learned that it's ok to leave food on my plate. That being hungry does not mean I need to stuff my face. That my success can inspire others to have success. That I look good in pants with a 34 inch waist.

I've learned that maintaining my weight loss is an entirely different challenge than losing 130 pounds. That there are times when I still have trouble accepting a compliment. That I still enjoy getting those compliments. That sometimes I have to come first.

I've learned that a good meeting and a good meeting leader are important allies. That eating the right foods is just as important as the amount of food one eats. That yogurt is not evil. That ordering a healthy meal in most restaurants today would try the patience of Job.

I've learned that no matter what anyone says, the occasional cheesesteak still tastes delicious. That the key word is occasional. That there were bones under all that fat. That there is no reason I shouldn't be able to keep this weight off for the rest of my life.

But the most important thing I learned was that in order to make it though 500 days of Weight Watchers, I just had to do it one day at a time.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Great post! Great weight loss! And Great Guy!
Continued Success! We're all having anniversaries today!
Now, when you see "500" in any context here in Indy, you only think of one thing, dontcha know?

TB--Milwaukee said...

Interesting reflection. You truly are an inspiration and your humble nature is something I also share.

Congrats on 500 days and have a Big Cheesesteak to celebrate. Just this one day!

Skinny Guy said...

Thanks, guys.

Kathy, 500? Indy? Hmm... Can't imagine... lol

TB, In fact, I did just that, with a bit of a twist - a chicken cheesesteak with mushrooms and broccoli rabe. Good eatin'!