Sunday, September 2, 2007

Are You An Owner Or A Manager?

I drove past a local church recently and the message on the sign outside raised a very interesting question. It read "Are you the owner or manager of your life?"

Almost immediately I imagined a business. I also imagined the owner and the manager of this business. The manager takes care of the day to day details of the business, dealing with inventory, employees, customers, suppliers and hundreds of the unnamed details that go along with running a business successfully. Most of the time it is a very reactionary job.

On the other hand, the owner of a business is responsible for putting the pieces in place that will allow the business to not only survive, but thrive. It is critical for an owner to see beyond the day to day details and to set goals and make decisions that will benefit the business in the long run.

Both roles have their places in any successful venture. But in the weight loss venture, many folks get so wrapped up in managing the day to day details, reacting to the scale, or their next meal, or their hunger or cravings, that they totally ignore thinking about the long term. Instead of putting the tools in place that will make it easier to achieve their goals, they wind up chasing the scale or looking for a quick fix and failing. They forget how important the big picture is and fail to prepare for it.

Don't get me wrong, you still need to manage the day to day details of losing weight. But by becoming the owner of your weight loss efforts you will be increasing the odds for your permanent success.

So, are you an owner or a manager?

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Hey...great post and lots of room for thought. My kids were always fond of saying "You own the mess!" when they were little and I guess when things don't go well with my food plan, I have to "own" up to the fact that although I have good plans in place, I don't always do the daily chores that are necessary for keeping that plan running smoothly...the journaling, the water, the planning...and when there is failure, I am the one who will have to analyze the finished product and see where management will have to step in and enforce the company plan.

TB--Milwaukee said...

Great insight. Right now, I know I am just managing with not much ownership going on yet. Time to bring in a consultant!