Friday, October 5, 2007

And The Universe Laughed...

I really don't know what I was thinking when I entered the drawing, but I filled out the form, dropped it in the box and went on my merry way. It was probably just out of habit. Maybe I was hoping for one of the consolation prizes, like a hat or something.

Yesterday as I was going through the mail, I noticed a letter addressed to me from my local supermarket. I opened it and discovered that my entry was pulled from the box and that I was the winner of a "Field Goal Party" in the store's "Ultimate Tailgate Party" contest.

I now quote from the letter (minus the store's name):

Your prize consists of the following: Party for 15-20 people
  • 3 foot Hoagie
  • 5 lbs. Potato Salad
  • 5 lbs. Buffalo Wings
  • 1 lb. Crab Bites (made with 100% crab meat)
  • Custom Decorated 1/2 Sheet Cake
  • 1 Case of Soda
  • 2 Bags each of Potato Chips & Pretzels
  • Plates, forks, napkins and cups
I really don't mind winning the prize. And I doubt that I'll have any major trouble being around all that food when we redeem the prize, although I'm sure I'll be sampling some of the wares. I'm just enjoying the irony of having entered hundreds of these types of contests over the years and not managing to win a thing until after I've finally managed to adopt healthier eating habits.

One More Thing

After posting One Thing on Wednesday, I took my own advice to heart and have managed to get at least a half hour of walking in every day since then. What makes it so unusual is that I've managed to wedge the walks in at work during my lunch and breaks, instead of sitting around and surfing the net. I even found a few guys to walk with during lunch.

All it takes is one thing, folks.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Too bad it wasn't the lottery, huh? I won a 5 day trip to Ft. Lauderdale once...best prize I ever got except for Hubby!
Good for you, taking those walks...you definitely deserve an atta boy for that. What will you discover next...flying, skateboarding???
I am definitely going to try your spinach recipe...it sounds great.

Jake Silver said...

great job with the walking and that's pretty cool that you get a party platter.

David Dane said...

Let's have a paaarrrteee: Get down on it, get down on it. To guote an old song. Slippin' on back having some wine, food, and song. Enjoy it.

TB--Milwaukee said...

Your party food doesn't sound too bad! Congrats!

Good job with the walks, I almost always make it out for a walk at lunch as well.

Skinny Guy said...

Thanks, everyone. Between my wife and I, we may have come up with a plan for how to deal with the loot. I'll let everyone know how it works out.