Saturday, October 6, 2007

Everything I Ever Wanted To Know About Food...

...I learned from the Nutrition Facts panel.

You know, that little white box hiding on the package that your food comes in. Do you read it? Do you understand it? Do you ignore it?

Since I started losing weight in April of 2006, I've sometimes felt I was a slave to the Nutrition Facts panel. "How many calories is this? What's the fiber? This has too many grams of fat!"

As time went on and I began dropping the pounds, I began to see that little white box as my ally in the Battle of the Bulge. In this battle, information is power and that panel is the ultimate weapon!

Am I being a little over dramatic? Maybe, but the fact remains that even now, there's not a day that goes by when I don't check the Nutrition Facts panel on a packaged food that I'm planning to eat.

Here's a video from the US Food and Drug Administration from 1995 that explains how to read and use the label:

Adblock

5 comments:

Lady Rose said...

Hi just discovered your blog from your supportive comment over on fatbloggers.net I've added you to my blogroll (I think it's great to have blogs about folks who have succeeded as well as well those still on journey).

I'm from NJ too! :)

Skinny Guy said...

Thanks for stopping by, Lady Rose!

Kathy said...

Those numbers can certainly be surprising. I often find that items marked "low-fat" or "sugar-free" are actually worse choices than the regular version. And I am constantly finding sugar and high-fructose corn syrup where you would least expect it. I was making sausage patties for my grandkids the other morning and was surprised to see it getting so dark brown...I looked at the label and sure enough, there was the sugar and HFCS! We never did that back on the farm!

Skinny Guy said...

I've really been noticing how prevalent HFCS is lately, especially in a lot of fat free items. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that, I think...

Israel said...

wow, that vid was weird. i couldnt stop watching although i wanted to. its like it sucked me in, a blast from the past. i feel weirded out now.

anyway, i have been reading those labels for years. its one of the best things ever invented for food.