Sunday, October 28, 2007

Flights Of Fancy

I was lucky enough today to enjoy a special treat. A coworker of mine invited me to go flying with him in his homebuilt airplane! I may have mentioned it before, but just for the record I am a huge fan of airplanes and flying, so this was a big deal for me.

There's a small airport about 5 miles from my house and he had a reason to be landing there today, so I drove over to meet him and actually managed to get there in time to watch him land his plane. Once he parked the plane, I met him over by the skydiving school. His 89 year old cousin was going to go skydiving today!


My friend on final approach

Before his cousin and the rest of the family got there, we hopped into his airplane and took off for a little fun in the sky. It was a little windy, but once we got up to 4000 feet, the air calmed right down. The views were spectacular! We could see both the Philadelphia and Atlantic City skylines just by turning our heads.

Flying over South Jersey

Then the moment of truth arrived when my friend told me that the plane was mine to fly and let go of the controls. It's actually not as terrifying as it sounds, since airplanes like to fly straight and level. After a little of that and some simple turns, I gave control back to the left seat and we started back to the airport, where we had an uneventful landing.

Skinny Guy, Aviator!

The one thing that made this so enjoyable was that I fit into the cockpit of the plane without any trouble at all, something I wouldn't have been able to do 18 months ago. The plane seats two people and the interior is only about 43 inches wide at the shoulders. It didn't even occur to me that I didn't feel cramped up in that small space until I was driving home!

The only problem now is that I'm starting to feel an itch. An itch that I haven't felt in years. A very expensive itch. I wonder how much flying lessons cost these days...

3 comments:

Kathy said...

That's wonderful! Snoopy and the Red Baron! And you left that 130 pound "baggage" on the ground...that makes a huge difference in an airplane. And you look like a natural aviator standing there by the plane.

skinnybitch said...

Go for it, Skinny Guy! Why *not* take flying lessons? Sounds like a lot of fun to me.
I love the way improved health opens all sorts of doors and awakens the mind to the world of infinite possibilities.
=)
R

Skinny Guy said...

It certainly was a lot of fun, and I haven't ruled out the possibility of taking flying lessons again sometime. For now, I just want to concentrate on getting the kids through school, so I'm content with mooching rides when I can.