Saturday, October 27, 2007

Good Night, Sleep Tight

Left to my own devices, I would probably go to bed around one or two o'clock in the morning, and wake up somewhere around nine o'clock. Unfortunately, the real world requires that I set my alarm for 4:30 AM so that I can get to my job and do my part to make the world a better place, or pay my bills or something like that.

Anyway, any reasonable person would assume that I would just get to bed that much earlier so I would still get a good night or rest. But noooo, my brain doesn't quite work like that. It's always raring to go late into the night, locked into it's own circadian rhythms and not giving a second thought about what time I have to get up in the morning, despite over 20 years of the same routine.

The result is many years of 4 and 5 hours of sleep per night and being an absolute zombie in the mornings until my brain realizes that yes, I am awake, and that I probably should be functioning at some higher level than that of a turnip. Which is probably why if I even needed a blood transfusion the doctors would call Starbucks* and not the Red Cross.

As it turns out, my lack of sleep may actually have contributed to my former obesity. Surely not as much as my 5 cheese steak a week habit, but a contributing factor nonetheless. Studies from the University of Chicago, Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health, and the Harvard Women’s Health Watch all suggest that there is a direct link between the amount of sleep one gets and the levels of certain hormones that regulate appetite. In other words, the less sleep you get, the greater the chance of putting on the weight.

So do yourself a favor. Get some sleep.

(I actually began writing this post late last night, but started nodding off at the keyboard.)

* I don't drink Starbucks coffee, but there are more Starbucks in the world then WaWas, so I used the more universal reference...

1 comment:

TB--Milwaukee said...

I have been working on this as well and feel much better in the morning if I go to bed earlier. By Friday, it seems our whole family ends up in bed by 8:00.