Wednesday, October 3, 2007

One Thing

One thing. That's all, just one thing.

Doing just one thing can change your life.

It doesn't matter what this one thing is. Not as long as you do it. Don't talk about doing it. Don't think about doing it. The actual doing of this thing is what counts. It doesn't have to be a big thing. It can be the smallest thing you can think of.

But make sure you do it. And when you do this thing, take note of the result. Here's where it gets complicated. If you don't like the result of doing this thing, don't do it anymore. If you do, then do it again.

The sum of all the different things that you do make up your life. The small things, the large things, the easy things and the difficult things, they are what your life is made of. The things that you've done so far are what made you what you are today.

If you want to change what you are today, then you need to do things that are different than the things that got you here. And it has to start somewhere. So find something that will get you started. Anything. That one thing. And do it.

Because doing one thing can change your life.

7 comments:

TB--Milwaukee said...

And that is "deep thoughts" by a skinny guy. Thanks for the motivation!

skinnybitch said...

"You are what you do every day."
Definitely words to live by. And I think you hit the nail on the head - focusing on just one thing really can make a difference.

I'm one of those people who often tries to do too much all at once. That sets me up for failure because inevitably, I start to feel overwhelmed. But if I truly focus on one thing at a time, all those little things add up to real success. So thanks for reminding me of that, Skinny Guy.

What's your one thing?

Kathy said...

You are so right...just as one "bad" decision can set off ripples that go on to haunt you for a long time, one "positive" act can have long-lasting consequences and pay back dividends that far outweigh the original "investment". I have to echo TB's thanks for your "deep thoughts"...I needed them today.

Skinny Guy said...

Thanks. I think what brought this back into focus for me was my latest attempt to get into a regular exercise routine. So far I've managed something on 4 of the last 8 days, and I'm working on trying to do even better.

Kathy said...

Thanks for your encouragement and continued good wishes with the exercise!

Israel said...

you are so right on about this. love the blog. RSSed.

Skinny Guy said...

Hi, Israel, thanks for stopping by, and congrats on the great job that you're doing!