Saturday, October 13, 2007

Shopping Spree

Shopping for clothes as a fat man was never a pleasant experience for me. Ever since I was a kid and had to go to the "husky" section of the store, a feeling of dread would come over me each time I needed new clothes. Why dread? Because I knew I would have to schlep over the the big & tall store. Funny thing is, I never saw any tall guys there. At least not unless they were also very wide.

Once I walked through the doors, they still always seemed to be out of my size. Not that it mattered much, because the styles they were selling always seemed to have everything going for them but style. Unless, of course, you like to wear T-shirts sporting "big dogs" on them.

Once I began losing weight and shrinking out of my fat clothes, things started getting a little better. I still lived in jeans and T-shirts and sweats because I didn't want to spend a fortune on clothes that I'd have to replace in a month or two or three. But the freedom I felt when I realized that I could finally shop in regular clothes stores and not have to pay the big man mark-up at the B&T store was one of the best non-scale victories of my entire weight loss adventure!

Which brings me to earlier today. Next weekend my wife and I are celebrating our wedding anniversary and for our night out I had to buy new a new sports coat, dress shirt and slacks. We went to a local men's store where I was confronted with racks upon racks of clothes in my size. It was a thing of beauty to be able to have that many choices!

I was able to walk out of the store today with some new clothes that are very flattering thanks to the good fashion sense of my wife. In fact, I think I could even start to tolerate clothes shopping in the future. Maybe even enjoy it! Who knew?

3 comments:

TB--Milwaukee said...

Now don't go overboard by saying you'll enjoy it!

It is nice to walk right in and find your size right away without a lot of hunting. The quicker I find it, the quicker I'm out!

S William said...

I always went through the same thing. Husky. Husky. Husky. Now it's just nice for me to squeeze into something without multiple x's.

Jake Silver said...

I admit that having a closet full of clothes that fit me when I was 135-140 pounds is kind of motivating. Karl Lagerfeld was motivated almost 100 percent by vanity to lose his weight. It'll be nice to be able to wear my smaller jeans.