Thursday, November 15, 2007

Diabetes Lights The World Blue

On Wednesday, dozens of monuments worldwide were bathed in blue light in recognition of World Diabetes Day. Below are some images from a handful of these monuments from around the world. All images are from the World Diabetes Day website, except where noted.

San Francisco, The Coit Tower


San Antonio, The Alamo


New York, The Empire State Building
(From radio station 1010 WINS in New York)


Pisa, Italy, The Leaning Tower


Sydney, Australia, The Sydney Opera House


London, England, The Eye


These sites and many others around the world brought attention to the worldwide problem of diabetes and hopefully it will help pave the way for a cure in our lifetime.

3 comments:

Dinah Soar said...

I think so many people aren't concerned about diabetes because they are familiar with what has been called mature onset diabetes and they think it is a disease of aging...I think currently it is now more often called type 2 diabetes...it really is a very serious condition...but it doesn't frighten people like it should..I'm a cancer survivor and as terrible as cancer is, I haven't suffered as much as many diabetics...

It think so many cases of type 2 diabetes are linked to unhealthy lifestyles...I also think it could be practically emliminated with even minor lifestyle changes for many...exercising and reducing intake of foods that cause insulin spiking...

It's a shame those with prediabetic conditions aren't more concerned and don't take action while they could make a difference...

Skinny Guy said...

It's a shame I didn't listen when my doctor warned me, and again that it took over 6 years for me to get my act together and finally do something about my weight.

David Dane said...

Pretty....