Saturday, November 17, 2007

Field Trip: Philadelphia Diabetes Expo

I took my annual trek into Philadelphia this morning to visit the American Diabetes Association's Diabetes Expo at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. This was the forth or fifth one I've been to, and as usual I took the train into Philly to avoid the hassle of driving and parking in Center City.

I can't verify it, but it seems to me as if the Expo has been getting smaller every year that I've been going. At one time the seminars were held in separate rooms on the mezzanine. Now, different speakers are in "rooms" that are nothing more than areas separated by curtains where they compete with each others amplified voices, not to mention the noise of the entertainment in the general hall.

There also seemed to be many fewer exhibitors in attendance. The major insulin and blood glucose monitor companies where there, as were the pharmacy chains, but I don't remember seeing any of the other major pharmaceutical companies there. I managed to walk the floor fairly quickly, picking up many of the usual "freebies," including a new blood glucose monitor.

The day wasn't a total bust, however. I had a pleasant conversation with Alison Dryer, an RN at Abington Memorial Hospital, which was sparked by a plastic replica of one pound of fat on display at their booth. I also attended an informative talk on Type 2 diabetes given by Dr. Anthony Cannon, a New Jersey endocrinologist who gave some interesting insights on the spread of Type 2 diabetes and the increasing importance of diet and exercide in treating it. He also held a very informative Q & A session afterwards.

Unfortunately there weren't enough exhibits to keep my interest long enough to pass the time until the other talk I wanted to hear, on diabetes and nutrition, began. So after Dr. Cannon's presentation I packed up and started off towards the train and home to New Jersey.

No comments: