Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Grand Experiment

We all had a great time at the wedding last night even though we had to leave a little earlier than we would have liked. Our nursing student daughter had to get back to the dorms last night and our son had an early alarm this morning for a school related practice. Besides, mom and dad don't hang nearly as well as they used to, but we won't dwell on that...

The experiment I'm talking about in the title of the post is the way I approached my plan for eating at the wedding. Since these are good friends of ours, I decided to concentrate more on enjoying the celebration of their daughter's wedding and less on being anal-retentive about what I was eating and drinking.

I had a few things going in my favor with this approach. First, I'm already below my goal weight. Since I don't have to worry about posting a loss every week, I can afford the occasional blip up here and there. Also, I think I've actually learned a few good habits since I've started this whole weight loss adventure, so I thought I'd give them a hard core workout. Finally, since my wife has threatened to start calling me "Mr. Bones," I knew she'd be happy to see me eating "normally."

I grazed the hors d'oeuvres, concentrating on the out of the ordinary treats instead of the kinds of things you can pop into the microwave at home. The sit down dinner was very good, and the portions and side dishes were not out of line with what I've been used to eating lately, so there weren't any major issues there.

That pretty much left the two problem areas for most folks. You guessed it, alcohol and dessert. On the alcohol front I think I did very well. I probably had more to drink last night than I've had in the entire previous year, but that's more a function of abstaining for the last year than the amount I had last night, especially since I was driving. All things considered, I was a very good boy.

Dessert, on the the other hand, started out very innocently. I began by putting two or three of the small bite-sized sweets onto my plate. Then they rolled out the cakes and pies. Since I'm not a chocolate fiend, I was able to avoid some of the richer looking concoctions. Then I saw what looked like a cross between an apple pie and an apple cake, cut into pieces that were entirely too large. I took one, thinking that I would eat just a small portion. After all, it's a strategy that I've successfully used in the past.

Time for my grades. For Hors D'oeuvres I give myself a B. Pretty good, but I could have done better. I earned the same B for Dinner since I didn't need to polish off the mashed potatoes. My Alcohol grade is an A because I had just enough. Dessert gets a big, fat F because everything was just to good and I wound up showing no self restraint at all. Overall I think that works out to about a C+ for the evening. Not bad, although I do have to work on bringing that dessert grade up.

6 comments:

Dinah Soar said...

Desserts would be my weakness too...like you, at a buffet I forgo the ordinary stuff..scope out the "special" dishes....but when it comes to dessert...I've never met a dessert I didn't like..but overall it sounds like you did well...and you have a good handle on things especially from the emotional angle...it's all too easy to beat ourselves up when we think we did less than stellar...and that can be counterproductive.

Kathy said...

I was going to comment, "But how often do you go to a wedding?", but then I remember how many my sister used to go to when she lived in Jersey!!! Seriously...sounds like you did fine.

john - from fat to fit said...

I like the scoring system! Also think it is a really good approach when faced with something like this to focus on the unusual items like you did.

Skinny Guy said...

The funny thing is, I can usually navigate through desserts without a problem. I think it was more mindless eating than anything else.

I suspect the number of weddings we attend might be going up. Our circle of friends now all have kids that are starting to reach marrying age. Before too much longer, I suspect we'll start having lots of christenings to go to as well.

TB--Milwaukee said...

Desserts are sweet and that's one of my downfalls. Sounds like a good time!

Jake Silver said...

Well, one event at a time, we all get better and better.