Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Weigh In: Week 83

Last Week: 159.8 lbs.
This Week: 160.0 lbs.
Change: Up 0.2 lbs.

Starting Weight: 292.0 lbs.
Total Weight Lost: 132.0 lbs.
Starting BMI: 43.2 (Morbidly Obese)
Current BMI: 23.7 (Normal)

Started WW: 25 April 2006
Reached Goal: 15 May 2007
Started Core: 13 June 2007
Reached Lifetime: 26 June 2007

I survived Thanksgiving week with only a 0.2 pound gain, but in retrospect it may not have been such a good thing. I know that sounds crazy, but I'll try to explain.

Since Thanksgiving dinner last week, I've been indulging in a generous portion of Jewish apple cake for dessert every night. After splurging like that for the last 5 nights and only showing a 0.2 pound gain, I gave myself permission to overeat when my wife and I went out to dinner tonight.

Not only that, but when we came home, I willfully made it a point to finish off the last of the apple cake (almost 2 servings) even though I wasn't close to being hungry. Not only that, but when my wife tried to remind me that I had said over dinner that I wasn't going to have any cake tonight, I told her I changed my mind and not to worry about it.

I'm more worried about my behavior on this one rather than whatever number the scale will show. There's absolutely no reason in the world I should have stuffed my face like I did tonight, and I know it. My stomach definitely knows it as well. It hasn't felt this bloated in a long, long time. I thought that pigging out like this was something that was behind me, but apparently I'll always have to be on the watch to make sure I don't let it sneak up on me again.

6 comments:

TB--Milwaukee said...

83 weeks and it's still a struggle at times! Mindless eating has always and will always be a problem for me. Tonight, my wife wanted salty foods, so I bought her chips, but I started eating the pretzels that were already in the house.

Kathy said...

Just being aware is half the battle. For me, it is being aware that I just can not make good decisions about certain foods and I've had to rid the house of them...sometimes, painfully. Remember the ice cream being melted by the hot water in the sink incident of this last summer!!! EEK!!! But I didn't eat any more ice cream...so I guess it worked. That's why I brought home only a covered bowl of Brussels sprouts from my daughter's Thanksgiving feast.

skinnybitch said...

I can really sympathize with you, Skinny Guy. This weight maintenance thing is a tough nut to crack. There are all these nagging questions: How much can you loosen up when it comes to splurging? Can you ever truly relax or do you always have to be on your guard? Is eating a piece of fudge ok, or will it trigger binge-like behavior? These are the sorts of questions I'm struggling with all the time.
I often think nutritionists - and people in general - have exactly the wrong idea about weight loss. Everyone thinks you need help and support the most during your weight loss. I'd argue you *really* need help and support when you're trying to figure out how to maintain weight loss. It's so much harder, at least for all-or-nothing types like me.

David Dane said...

There is always time to adjust. What else did you eat today? Did you skip a meal? Did you eat your total allotment of food? Believe it or not, you are more thoughtful and aware of your food consumption than 99 percent of the people out there. If you weren't you would never have lost 130 pounds. Take a chill pill and relax. You won't crash like you think you will. Unless of course you reach a point where you just don't care anymore. This is a life long battle. It goes on and on, it never ever ends. So get used to it.

Dinah Soar said...

Skinny Guy...I've been where you are and it is scary...having regained 50 pounds twice, I've learned that successful maintenance is dependent on a cue that is not skewed...we can never depend on our internal bodily cues to clue us when to stop eating...they will always fail us.

The thought of dieting for life totally discouraged me...then I realized it's not about dieting for life...but, once you loose the excess pounds, it's about monitoring your food intake with something that is dependable, that cannot be skewed...

And that is: ta da!!!!...writing it down...every bite...you will feel much better monitoring your food intake...keeping a tally of your total calories/points every day...there is something quite sobering to see the calories/points mount on paper.

Many is the time when I thought I hadn't eaten much, until I tallied it up...whoa...talk about rude awakening...

Monitoring our food intake with a dependable cue is our saviour so to speak...it is freeing...you should be able to eat Jewish cake without guilt and worry and totally enjoy it...and you will, as long as you have a reliable idea where you are at in your intake.

Because we all have days where we are hungrier or where we can't control the food choices or special days like birthdays, holidays and such, it is a good idea to look at the daily average per 7-10 days I think...that way you have some leeway, but still are in the boundary you've set.

There's a lot to be said for an anchor...it keeps us from drifting too far.

So, I'd suggest you decide on a daily calorie/point allotment...be generous, it should be enough to maintain your desired weight...and then aim to stay within that range over 7-10 days averaged.

You are doing great...two tenths of a pound is miniscule in the larger scheme of things...so chill, and correct your course while there is no damage done.

Skinny Guy said...

Thanks for all the comments, everyone! Last night was just a bump in the road. Once I started my day today, I fell right back into my newer, healthier habits again. Feels a lot better, too.