Wednesday, November 14, 2007

World Diabetes Day

Today is World Diabetes Day. It is a day of increased recognition of the effect of diabetes worldwide. It is a day of education about the seriousness of the disease and awareness that many people who suffer from the disease, especially children, do not have the needed tools and medications to battle it.

Personally it means that I will remember those whom I have known and loved that have died from complications of the disease and that I will do my best to not be counted among their numbers. I will also be praying that those I love who also have this disease will take it upon themselves to care for themselves so that I may enjoy their company for a long, long time.

It is my hope that a cure for diabetes will be found during the lifetime of all those who are currently afflicted and that all those who are at risk of getting the disease take that risk seriously and that those who are able can avoid being diagnosed.

I also hope that the public, the media and the government realize that there are several types of diabetes and that not all who have the disease could have avoided it. It is a disease of genetics as much as it is a disease of lifestyle.

Finally, today is a day of unity for all those who are affected by diabetes, whether you have it, are a caregiver for someone who has it, know someone who has it, or are in a position to help in the fight against it. If we all take an active part in this fight against diabetes, the children of the world will one day have one thing less to worry about.

2 comments:

David Dane said...

Well written...
I have three family members who were diagnosed with diabetes. One didn't know soon enough and lost the use of his legs. The other two family members have let down their guard.
And you are right, diabetes has many faces and is still not completely understood. I am praying along with you on this one.

Kathy said...

Thanks for putting this issue on the front burner. Hubby and I are also affected by it, as you know, and are working like the devil to deal effectively with it.