Thursday, December 20, 2007

12-20

December 20, 1959
Tada! Look out, world, I'm here! That's right, 48 years ago today I made my debut and ever since then the universe has been toying with me in the same way a cat toys with with its prey before deciding it has had enough fun. It usually doesn't end well for the prey...

December 20, 1975
The universe gets serious. My grandmother was rushed to the hospital the day before and passed away the day after. I think it's safe to say that my 16th birthday wasn't my favorite.

December 20, 1984
My first birthday as a married man and the last in a long time that found me weighing less than 200 pounds.

December 20, 1988
My first birthday as a dad! My daughter was born that August, and I couldn't have been prouder.

December 20, 1989
It started out normally enough, but I wound up getting my most surprising birthday present of all when my son decided that he didn't want to be born in February, and decided to show up rightnow!!! We almost lost him, but today as he celebrates his 18th birthday he's a healthy, happy, athletic teenager who lives to give his good old dad grief!

December 20, 1999
Fast forward ten years later and the universe is warming up to give us the most frustrating year that we've ever had, starting with my diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes just 19 days after this birthday.

December 20, 2005
In contrast, this birthday preceded what turned out to be a very good year for yours truly. A new job within my company led to an improved attitude and the beginning of my weight loss journey. Take that, universe!

December 20, 2006
The first birthday since 1984 that I clocked in at under 200 pounds. I'd lost almost 94 pounds by this point and was in a groove that wouldn't quit.

December 20, 2007
That brings us to today. I'm down over 130 pounds from my starting weight, about 165 pounds from my all time high weight in 1989, and very thankful that I found the inner strength to do what needed to be done. It's the second best birthday present I've ever had. (See 1989 above for the best one...)

7 comments:

TB--Milwaukee said...

Happy Birthday!!

Kathy said...

I saw an episode of Planet Earth the other day where a Snow Leopard was after a mountain goat...the chase was on...and the mountain goat got away with no more than a chunk missing from his behind. Happy Birthday, you old mountain goat!

skinnybitch said...

Happy Birthday, Skinny Guy!
And many happy returns.
R

workout mommy said...

Happy Birthday to both you and your son! :)

Lisa

Dinah Soar said...

Kathy called you an old goat (love the illustration), but I'd say your're pretty young yet...isn't 40 the new 30? Happy Birthday!

john - from fat to fit said...

Happy Birthday! What a great story. A lot to be proud of.

Skinny Guy said...

Thanks, everyone! Indeed, it was a great birthday. After last night's dinner out, I probably won't be hungry again until next December 20th, but it was very much worth it!

As far as the old mountain goat comment, I consider it quite the compliment, since an old mountain goat has plenty of experience and knowledge to navigate the hazardous and dangerous parts of the mountain with sure footing. There may be the occasional misstep, but nothing that will cause him to fall off the mountain.

So thanks, Kathy! And remember, I'm still younger than you! So there!