Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Envelope, Please...

Thanks to Veronika, I received the "A Roar For Powerful Words" award the other day. It's an interesting award, not quite a month old, yet this branch of it already has been awarded nine times before it came to rest here. If you enjoy reading good writing, check the bottom of this post for links to the bloggers who received it before me as well as the bloggers I nominate below.

Now, on to business! The guidelines state:

Seamus says : Those people I've given this award to are encouraged to post it on their own blogs; list three things they believe are necessary for good, powerful writing; and then pass the award on to the five blogs they want to honour, who in turn pass it on to five others, etc etc. Let's send a roar through the blogosphere! The image above can be copied and pasted onto other blogs. Also, a small size of the award for sidebars can be found over at the writing circle site.

My three things that constitute good, powerful writing can be summed up fairly easily.

1. Have something to say. I have a problem listening to people who go on and on about nothing. The same thing is true when I'm reading, whether it's on paper or on line. Please don't waste my time!

2. Say it honestly. If I can't trust you when I read what you write, why should I bother? And believe me, you're not as clever as you think. If you're being disingenuous, your readers can tell.

3. Say it effectively. There are numerous times throughout the course of my daily routine that I'm expected to work hard. I don't want to do it when I'm reading. Please learn to spell and have a basic grasp of grammar. If I have trouble making it through the first paragraph, chances are I won't be back!

Without further ado, here are my choices for this award:

Jonathan at Jack-Sprat.net
Robin at CR - Getting and staying skinny the healthy way
Dinah Soar at Diary of a Not So Mad Housewife
Gal at 60 IN 3
R.E. at A Healthy Path

All five of these recipients meet the three qualifications I outline above. In addition, they all manage to bring their own unique perspective to their writing without forcing it on you. They relate to their audience without talking down to them and the best thing that I can say about them all is that they keep me coming back for more. I enjoy reading their blogs and I think you will too.

Thanks again to Veronika, who received the award from Laura. Laura received the award from Shelli, who was nominated by CanadianSwiss. CanadianSwiss received it from SwenglishExpat, who received it from Eric. Eric got it from Zirelda, who was awarded it by mapiprincesa. Still with me? Mapiprincesa received it from Chief Biscuit, who received it from Seamus of Shameless Words, who originated the award. Congratulations to all the recipients!

9 comments:

Dinah Soar said...

Wow Skinny Guy...thanks for the award! I'm honored to receive it. I prefer talking over writing, and started blogging as a way to express myself.

I must say you are an excellent writer and I'm wondering where you learned to write so well. In school?

I am impressed with the caliber of the writing I've found in the blogosphere and often think so many of the bloggers should be writing books.

Again...thanks so much for the award!

Shelli said...

Congratulations!

Isn't it crazy how these blog circles go? I know two of the recipients you listed, but didn't know they knew each other. (Laura and Veronika)

Shelli said...

My other blog is a weightloss blog. Losing It. You are an inspiration to me and I would love to link you there.

Kathy said...

Have you tried Genealogy? You did a pretty impressive lineage there.

Skinny Guy said...

You're quite welcome, Dinah. I've never really thought of myself as a good writer, just someone who writes well enough to get away with it. I've volunteered on several newsletters over the years as well as a lot of forums on the net, but nothing serious.

Shelli, you have a great blog as well. Thanks for the link!

Kathy, as a matter of fact, I have. But like all the fun stuff that I like to do, I usually have no time to do it in. After all, some of us aren't quite retired yet... ;-)

Kathy said...

I spent years working on our family history...back when I was still working, btw! I really enjoyed it and, hopefully, my grandkids will find it interesting someday.

Gal said...

Thank you, I've never won an award before :)

And I just read your most recent post, I loved that article from John Scalzi. If you ever have a chance to read some of his books, they're excellent.

Gal

R.E. said...

S.G., congratulations to you on receiving the award. Your three criteria are dead-on in setting standards for good blogging. So very kind of you to nominate me. It's wonderful to receive from another weight loss writer.

Have a super weekend!

Skinny Guy said...

Gal & R.E., You're both very welcome! Both of you are very deserving.

Gal, so far I've read Old Man's War, The Ghost Brigades, Sagan's Diary and The Androids Dream. Just waiting for The Lost Colony to get to the library, or until it comes out in paperback. I also read Scalzi's blog on a daily basis. Does that make me a fanboy? :)

Dinah, that's probably another reason I can usually string coherent sentences together... I read a lot.

Kathy, I've traced one line to 18th century North Carolina and another to 18th century England and had some interesting dead ends along the way. One of these days I'll get back to it.