Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Interesting Observations

First of all, I hope everyone had an enjoyable holiday. My holiday had the usual allotment of the good and the bad, with the good winning out yet again.

I noticed several interesting things as things ratcheted into high gear going into Christmas. I know that I fell into a pattern of mindless eating, especially when near Christmas cookies or other holiday treats, over the last few days. I also paid less attention to my "comfort zone," and ate until uncomfortably full, both on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

In fact, it may not have been as mindless as I thought, since I do remember being aware of what I was doing at the time. I do know that I'm not concerned about it, mostly because I didn't let it spill over to today.

What really surprised me was how easy it was for me to go from "indulgence" to "overindulgence." I imagine it's just something else to file under "Constant Vigilance."

5 comments:

TB--Milwaukee said...

Interesting observations. I'm sure it's something I'll struggle with forever~over indulging at the holiday. Tracking and getting back to the routine the next day will certainly help hold off any gains.

Kathy said...

The ability to overindulge is not new but not being scared of it is new for me. I knew it would be short-lived and I honestly had no doubt that I would jump right back on plan...in fact, I was looking forward to it. Now, that is a great feeling!

Dinah Soar said...

I just was reading in The Thin Commandments that while we can loose weight, we never loose our vulnerablity to food. And that is so true.

Like Kathy, I've finally gotten to the point where I'm not scared of it, and don't feel guilty either, and am able to get back to--in fact look forward to---the daily regular eating....the treats just weren't that special to me this year. Perhaps because it's finally sunken in that I will never be able to rely on my body's cues as to when to "stop". "Flying blind" I will always overeat...so, it makes sense I feel more secure keeping myself within the parameters of my food plan.

Now we can all look forward to a new year and I'm especially happy to be going into it weighing less than I did last year...and I don't mind in the least that I still have some more pounds to loose! Go figure! Never thought I'd see that day come...hahaha (the not minding part---I figure I'll always be working on at least a pound or two, if not five. I think, in fact, that is a break through for me---realizing that constantly monitoring the weight and taking the appropriate action is the norm . Thinking I can eat and never consider is "magical" thinking I think....very few people live in that world---it would be nice to be one of them, eh?

David Dane said...

Cute come back on the heartfelt fish. My thought, it's the accumulation of over indulging that get's us. One day here or there isn't a real big deal. When we forget that we have to be alert and get back to the plan, that's when we fail.

Skinny Guy said...

Great point, David.