Saturday, December 1, 2007

My Holiday Goal

On this first day of December, I have finally decided on a goal for this holiday season. It's a fairly simple one, and it isn't even entirely related to my weight. My goal is to not lose control.

It's easy to lose control during the holidays. There are many opportunities to get caught up in what everyone expects the holidays should be. I should know, I've been a willing victim to most of them. But this year, I want to be able to make it to January 2 without losing control when faced with all these ghosts of Christmases past.

What this means is that I will attempt to recognize stressful situations before they have a chance to surprise me. I will do my best to not let things that are not in my control get to me. I will not self-medicate any stress I do feel with food and will aspire to politely assert myself when the holiday food pushers align me in their cross-hairs.

I will work hard to refrain from losing my temper with those to know how to unleash it. I hope to be as gracious, kind and thoughtful with family as I am with friends and strangers. Most importantly, I want to remind myself every day why we're celebrating the holiday in the first place.

I realize that a lot of what I'm saying describes how I should act every day, but I also know that the things that I've mentioned are sometimes the first things to be sacrificed during the chaos of the holidays. If I can make it though the season accomplishing this goal, it will be the best present that I could have given myself this year.

Unless I buy that 65" plasma TV, of course.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

I hope you accomplish your goal...as nice as the Holidays can be, they can bring out the best and worst in people...I would totally opt for the tv!!! lol

Kathy said...

Hey...thanks for the info about the green flags. I had not heard that. Maybe they'll give the third one to the winner of the race!

Addicted to NASCAR!!! And they haven't even come up with a vaccine yet...although I hear that the guys at National Security asked their volunteers to get inoculations before they went to Lowe's Speedway! No kidding!

TB--Milwaukee said...

I'm in for not losing control...food wise and personality wise. I seem to get a bit testy around the holidays and now with my wife being pregnant, we're both a bit testy.

Dinah Soar said...

Excellent post...if anyone can achieve these goals you can skinny guy..you go guy!

john - from fat to fit said...

That's a great goal - this is an easy month to lose control in so many ways, whether it is eating, drinking, buy gifts, family tensions, whatever. This could be a hard goal to measure but you'll know whether or not you achieved it. Good luck!

N-Watch said...

Your goal hits the sweetspot in my book.

It doesn't require stress and anxiety but a quiet moment of reflection to figure out "where am I going..."

May I post it in one of my Christmas blogs?

MikeR