Thursday, January 3, 2008

Introducing The Count

I mentioned here that one of my goals for the new year was to stop using that evil invention known as the snooze alarm. In order to keep track of my progress towards this goal, I'm instituting The Count, which will work as follows:

* The count officially began on January 1st and will end on December 31st.

* I will set an alarm to get up every day of the year.

* For every day I get up without hitting the snooze alarm, the count will increase by one.

* For every day I hit the snooze alarm or fail to set an alarm, the count will decrease by one.

* To start, I'll aim for a 90% success rate, which means The Count needs to reach or exceed +330 by December 31st.

Another goal that I started working towards was physical in nature. At the same time I began the anti-snooze crusade, I began doing push-ups every morning, as soon as I got up. I'm starting with 10 push-ups each morning, but the number doesn't matter. I'm trying to establish the habit before I worry about how many I do. So I will include my push-up routine in the count as well, using the same general guidelines that I outlined above.

How am I doing so far? Glad you asked! We're three days into 2008, and I've resisted the snooze alarm two days out of the three, making the snooze count +1 (1+1-1=1). I'm doing a little better with the push-ups, where the count is a perfect +3.

I'll try to remember to update The Count on a regular basis at the bottom of my posts, like so:

The Count: Snooze = +1, Push-Ups = +3

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Measurable goals...no expectation of perfection...you're so good!

Coop said...

One of the biggest pleasures that I have always thought about would be to wake up without an alarm.

I'm working on it.

Best,
Coop

TB--Milwaukee said...

You ever think about moving the alarm clock to the opposite side of the room. Not only will you not press the snooze, but you'll be getting some exercise first thing in the morning running to shut it off.

Skinny Guy said...

Kathy, "...but when I'm bad, I'm even better..."

Coop, I'll be more than satisfied when I wake up with the alarm on a regular basis!

TB, heh, check out my profile. My alarm clock is accross the room, and I regularly haul my butt out of bed, walk to my dresser, hit the button, crawl back into bed and manage to fall back asleep before the alarm goes off again 7 minutes later!

Kathy said...

I would have to say that the magazine probably leans toward the feminine side with lots of recipes and menu planning and the exercise demonstrations are women. I know what you're saying. I had a look at a great magazine that was geared toward men at the hospital waiting room last weekend...can't recall the name...but it was quite readable and I still enjoyed it, but all the ads and fashions, etc were for men.

Kathy said...

Just saw your earlier comment...you're not only good...you're a scamp! (That's what my mom would have said!)

Skinny Guy said...

*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

TB--Milwaukee said...

Guess that won't work then. Do you have a dog? How about a baby?

Skinny Guy said...

TB, no dogs or babies, but this goal I've set seems to be doing the trick so far.