Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Long Winter

Where I work, we get the week between Christmas and New Years off every year. Including weekends, it's about an 11 day vacation. The price we pay for having a long holiday break is that we don't get another sanctioned holiday until Memorial Day, 5 long months down the road.

That's not to say we don't have days off during that time, we just have to use vacation time or sick time. In any event, it tends to make for a long winter. The perfect time to settle in with any one of many comfort foods to keep you company in front of the fireplace.

For me, January began my DVD marathon time. I would take out all of my favorite movies and television series DVDs and over the course of the winter would watch just about every one of them.

Fortunately I have a few projects looming that will keep me from becoming a total sloth this winter, although I will make time for some DVD viewing. Another interesting development includes one of the benefits at my wife's new job. Apparently she gets a discounted family membership to a local gym! This was only mentioned to me in passing last night, but I must say that I am definitely interested. We'll need to find out all the details and check out the facilities, but I am cautiously optimistic.

Maybe this winter won't be so bad after all...

The Count: Snooze = +6, Push-Ups = +10

6 comments:

TB--Milwaukee said...

It certainly is a long winter. We have lots of family birthdays during the next two months, which won't help much.

I get MLK day off and my birthday!

Dinah Soar said...

Here in middle TN we don't get much winter...it rarely gets cold more than a day or two at a time...I've been running the air conditioner this week. While I love the south I do miss the definite seasons.

Caroline said...

I always hate that LOOOOOOONG stretch after Christmas until another holiday. It makes the spring DRAG by. I guess that's the nice thing about still being in school. We get Spring Break!

Getting Real said...

I am glad to report I get next Monday off for MLK, but I had to work new years eve and christmas eve. After MLK, I hav a long stretch, but may take off some vacation days.

David Dane said...

Hey Skinny Guy, go build those muscles. Then will have to call you The Muscle Man... Don't forget, if you build muscle it weighs more than fat. And you might at some weight there. I am not kidding. Although as you add muscle, you will kick up that fat burning power. I am sure you know all this, but the novice weight losers may not. Go knock out some weights there.... or, just putts around on the treadmill.

David Dane said...

Excuse my misspellings there. Oops...