Friday, February 29, 2008

The Count: February 2008 Update

Happy Leap Day!

February is over which means it's time for another update on The Count, in which I pledged to begin some new habits in the new year. On to the update!

The Snooze: I'm still struggling with setting a regular time to turn in every evening, which does affect the Snooze count a little bit. I managed to only hit the snooze button twice this month though, which improves my year to date success rate to almost 92%. In March I'm going to try and work on my bed time so I'm not as tempted to hit that snooze in the morning.

Pushups: I've done incredibly well with my pushup regimen this month, increasing my daily count from from one set of 25 to two sets totaling 40 pushups (25/15), for over a thousand pushups this month and a year to date total of 1525. I've also continued with the squats and now it's time to shake things up a little more.

I'm starting to feel a little burned out with the pushups and it's been suggested by people I trust that I may need to give my shoulders a little "resting" time, especially after 60 straight days of pushups. So here's what I'm going to try. I'm going to throw crunches into the mix now, and I'm going to rotate between pushups, squats and crunches, doing two out of the three exercises every morning. That should give the muscles involved in each exercise a little break. I'll also rename the Pushups count to AM Exercise to reflect that. If it works, I'll continue with it, otherwise I'll try something else.

Original Count Post
January Update

I'm still in "Major Deadline Mode" for at least the next 10 days or so; after that I should be back to posting and commenting on a more regular basis. Play nice until I get back!

The Count: Snooze = +50, Push-Ups = +60

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Good to see you, Skinny! Now get back to work.

TB--Milwaukee said...

Good thing we have this extra day, more time to catch up.

Steve v4.6 said...

I can't wait to see you conquer the snooze time goal- I could certainly use some tips.

David Dane said...

Rotating between excercises is a good idea. According to many muscle building magazines that I have read, every large muscle group should have about 24 hours of rest time to deplete down lactic acid that builds up in those muscles. Your arms, and shoulders are a major muscle group. When you strain out the muscles like you are now, you are building up the lactic acid. The body needs time to absorb the lactic acid. I'll bet there is some real improvement since you started this regimen.

Skinny Guy said...

Thanks for hanging in there, everyone! I'll be back on the scene very shortly.