Thursday, February 14, 2008

Food, Glorious Food!

Valentine's day is all about your relationship with the one you love. What if the one you love is a cheesesteak smothered in mushrooms and fried onions? Or a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese with a large fry chaser? Or a large pizza piled high with pepperoni, the grease dripping down your arm as you bite into it?

We all have a relationship with food. Mine has changed drastically in the last two years, and that's an undeniable truth. I would always think about the next thing I was going to eat. There was nothing I wouldn't consume, no calorie that was left behind. Trans fats were my friend. I ate as though I was afraid someone were going to come by and take my food away from me, or that I wouldn't see another meal for days.

As with any relationship, my relationship with food had an emotional side to it. I ate when stressed, when bored, when sad, when happy, when frustrated, when celebrating, when mourning. There wasn't an occasion or emotion that wasn't made better with food.

When the time came to change my ways, I learned that food wasn't the lover, the comforter, the soul mate that I thought it was. I came to realize that the way I was abusing food was enabling me to ignore myself and ultimately shorten my life, thanks to multiple health problems with the potential of life-devastating complications.

As I established healthy eating habits I was amazed at the way my body responded. It was as though it craved these new things I was doing to it, wanting the fruits and vegetables and lean meats and whole foods I was now feeding it. I came not only to appreciate food, but to respect it.

Our relationship is much more mature now. I no longer lust after food. I appreciate it, respect it, savor it and enjoy it. In return, it is helping me reverse the damage I've done to my body over the years and helping me preserve it for the future. As with any relationship, it's not perfect. I still have the momentary lapse here and there, but I never stray too far or for too long. I'm in this relationship for the long haul.

Happy Valentine's Day!

The Count: Snooze = +39, Push-Ups = +45

I just entered this post in a giveaway drawing that's running through February 21st over at Lifehack.org. It's a great blog, drop by to check it out.

4 comments:

TB--Milwaukee said...

Did you have a camera in our house tonight? Unfortunately, my arms were dripping with grease from our "Hearted Shaped" Pizza.

I still have a lot of work to do with my relationship with food. Today, I did savor it, but a little too much consumption.

Kathy said...

Well said! We decided we would have dinner out and discussed all the possibilities...and came back to what we've been having recently...because that is what we really WANT now instead of what we have to eat. That's a great feeling! We did decide to add a piece of chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream which we shared...the first sweet we've had since Christmas! And because we have it so seldom, it was a real treat!

skinnybitch said...

What a wonderful post! Very well written and creative.

David Dane said...

BRAVO, well said.