Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Avoiding The Iceberg

Last week marked the anniversary of the ocean liner Titanic hitting an iceberg and sinking in the North Atlantic back in 1912. I stared down my own iceberg this weekend, and I'm happy to say I survived.

In my case, the iceberg snuck up on me over the last two months, in the form of deadlines, family commitments, health issues and a general relaxing of my healthy habits.

This past Sunday I finally saw the iceberg for what it was, and took drastic action to avoid slamming into it. I did have to take a little damage, though. How did I do it? I ate. Way. Too. Much. On purpose. Until I was sick of even looking at food.

Believe it or not, it worked. By Sunday night I ready to get back on track, and first thing Monday morning it was business as usual. And thanks to Kathy's One Perfect Day, I had even more incentive to do the right thing. (Thanks, Kathy!)

Yesterday, though, I had to pay the piper. I needed to go to my Weight Watchers meeting last night, not only for the accountability, but because it marked my two year anniversary of joining Weight Watchers.

I knew before I went to the meeting that the scale was not going to be friendly to me. I never abandoned going to the meetings during my slump, although being a lifetime member I don't go every week. I also never stopped my morning visits to the bathroom scale. Still, the number I got at the meeting confirmed that indeed, it was time to get back on track.

For purposes of full disclosure, I weighed in at 168.6 pounds. While that number by itself isn't a problem at all, it does represent an 8.8 pound weight gain in only 6 weeks. That is totally unacceptable to me, and I'm using it as another source of motivation to stay back on track.

So I avoided the iceberg and got the ship turned around. There was a little damage, but nothing that wasn't repairable. Life is good!

8 comments:

Kathy said...

Well, to keep the metaphor going...to avoid sinking, we just have to batten ourselves down in that WW lifeboat and start rowing! Good for you nipping it in the bud. It used to take me months...even years...and many, many pounds to get the message that I was sinking and in need of desperate help. Thank goodness I have the blogging community to send my SOS out to...you guys have delivered me many times!

And, isn't it great that you notice a small weight gain now? I don't know about you, but I used to gain 30 or 40 before I would even take note!

Good Luck, my friend!

HappyBlogChick said...

Congrats for avoiding the iceburg!

In my opinion it's a great accomplishment to stop a gain before it gets into the double digits.

TB--Milwaukee said...

You're still living the lifestyle, just need to make sure the compass is pointed in the right direction.

8.8 in 6 weeks? I'll be the one to kick you when you're down. GET IT BACK ON TRACK!! It's definitely time to get back to business Skinny Guy!!

Matt Keeling said...

Not much else to say that has not already been said. Good job avoid disaster, now bet back to it! :-)

I will be watching your progress to see your recovery so I can use your experience to help me if and when I one day face the same hurdle.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you're "On top of the world!" I really enjoyed parousing your blog... glad you're back on track.

Mr.Slim (GoaDie)

Skinny Guy said...

Thanks everyone. I think the key is recognizing that you are off course, then doing what it takes to get back to where you were going.

Oh, and TB? I appreciate the kick in the pants, but not quite so hard next time, ok? ;-)

Chris said...

Skinny Guy,

Your posts are missed...where are you?

Skinny Guy said...

Thanks for your concern, Chris. I'm back, it's just been crazy busy here at Skinny Guy Central. I'm hoping to be able to get back in the habit of writing here on a regular basis.