Wednesday, June 18, 2008

B2BBC: Day 1

Goals

Today is the first day of my Back To Basics Boot Camp and to kick it off I'm going to talk about Goals. Setting goals is a crucial part of any successful venture, and my attempt to recommit to a healthier lifestyle is no exception.

Good goals have several characteristics in common:

  • Good goals must be obtainable. This may sound like common sense, but many folks set goals that are unrealistic. Reachable goals are essential for success!
  • Another trait of a good goal is the ease with which you can measure your progress in accomplishing that goal. To go day after day without being able to tell if you are getting any closer to completing your goal would eventually see you abandoning your attempt out of frustration.
  • Your goals should be stated in the positive, emphasizing what you will do, not what you will not do. Positive reinforcement is a powerful thing and should not be ignored.
  • You need to be accountable to your goals. Write them down, share them with others, repeat them several times a day. Do whatever it talks to keep your goals in your mind on a daily basis, because an ignored goal is an unreached goal.
Now that I've touched on just a few effective tips for setting goals, I'm going to share the goals that I've set for myself for the Boot Camp:

By July 3rd, 2008, I will accomplish the following:

I will publish a daily Boot Camp post to this blog.

I will increase the ratio of whole foods to processed foods in my daily diet.

I will give my body the rest it needs by hitting the sack by 10:30 PM each evening.

I will increase my physical activity by beginning and continuing a weekly push-up routine, as well as by training to participate in a 5K race at the end of the Boot Camp on the Fourth of July.

So there you have it. My goals are set and I'm ready to begin. Interestingly enough, the one goal that I'm most apprehensive about is writing the daily post, as I've never written that much in one stretch before. I know that I can reach these goals as long as I give it my best effort. But the only way to know for sure is by following along over the next 16 days!

(There are still 13 days left to enter my contest. Don't be left out!)

2 comments:

TB--Milwaukee said...

I now realize how important goals are. Now that I'm at my "goal" weight, I need to set new goals to keep myself accountable.

Skinny Guy said...

Sounds like a good idea, TB. Now that I've been at my goal weight for a while now, I'm looking more toward fitness goals. It's definitely not over once the weight is off.