Saturday, June 21, 2008

B2BBC: Day 4

Plan For It

If you haven't been healthy and fit in a long time, you're going to need a plan to be successful. Leaving things to chance just isn't an option. After all, when you didn't have a plan, where did you wind up? Heavier? Lazier? Sick?

Take some time to think out a plan and put it to paper. You'll need to cover a lot of ground, so don't think you need to do it all at once, but just as you wouldn't go on a long trip without directions and possibly a map, you won't get to Healthyville by heading down random paths.

Plan your meals in advance whenever possible. Grocery lists are essential! Develop a list of your favorite healthy recipes that you can go to when you don't know what to eat. Keep the home environment as healthy as possible. Remember, if it's not in the house, you can't binge on it. Keep a food diary so that you can keep track exactly what you've consumed. It's easy to "forget" about those little extras that seem to make their way into our mouths, so if you bite it, write it!

Eating out? If your restaurant has a web site, surf there first to learn the healthier options on the menu. Plan to be assertive when ordering, letting your server know exactly how you would like your food prepared. I've found that restaurants are much friendlier to special orders than they used to be.

You need to schedule time for fitness as well. We're all busy and we all have excuses, but healthy habits aren't going to form themselves. Make an appointment with yourself to get out and get moving. Keep logs of your training progress. If you don't know where you've been, how are you going to know where you're going or when you get there?

Also know that you absolutely must plan for your own well being. This getting healthy thing can be a lot of work, so take steps to make sure it doesn't cause you to stress out. Plan for some quiet time, hobby time, or whatever it takes for you to regenerate yourself. You're in this for you after all!

I know that this seems like a lot, but it will pay off for you down the road. The road isn't a easy one. Take things one at a time and before long it's quite possible that you'll be surprised with what you've accomplished. And that is what makes the journey worth it. You can plan on it!

(Did you hear? I'm running a contest. Be sure to enter before the end of the month.)

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I've always done my best when I plan out the whole week and put it on the front of the fridge to refer to. Breakfasts, lunches, and snacks have fallen into kind of a routine so the grocery list is similar most weeks...dinner is where we experiment more and where I am more likely to have problems.

Great series, so far. And thanks for taking the time to look at the Indy video. I live here and was still taken by how impressive it made the city look. Of course, we are gearing up for the opening of the new football stadium this fall and hosting the Superbowl in a few years!

goodbyetoallfat said...

I'm doing well with not keeping junk food in the flat and making time for exercise, but need to work a bit more on planning my meals.

All excellent advice, Skinny Guy.

If you have time, I have uploaded a blog today I would appreciate male opinion on. Thanks if you can.

Best wishes,
Sharon

Andrew is getting fit said...

Planning is vital indeed. I find that the times I struggle with are when I am out of routine. During the week it's easy as I can control my eating quite well. It's those damn weekends and eating out which sometimes cause me grief.