Thursday, June 26, 2008

B2BBC Day 8

Let's Get Physical

What do we all know that is part of the prescription for good health, yet is something that many of us dread?

Besides brussel sprouts!

That's right, exercise. I know for myself, it's a struggle to start and sustain any amount of exercise on a regular basis. I also know from reading your blogs that there's a good percentage of you out there that have the same issue.

So why bother? Here's a few very good reasons.

For starters, it'll help you lose weight. Burning calories that would otherwise collect around your midsection is a good thing. Just don't kid yourself into thinking that a lap or two of walking around the mall will compensate for that burger and chili-cheese fries from the food court!

You'll also make your doctor and your health insurance company happy, because regular exercise reduces the risk of many chronic diseases including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, high blood pressure, chronic back pain, certain cancers and a host of other conditions.

It will also make you feel good. Regular exercise has been shown to improve the mood, reduce the effects of depression, anxiety and stress, and some people actually think it's fun!

There's many more reasons to start exercising; these are just the tip of the iceberg. Just remember to get a doctor's clearance before pursuing any exercise program, especially if the only laps you've been doing have been between the recliner and the refrigerator!

(Note: Sorry for yesterday's cryptic message. I was having some computer issues that temporarily caused some downtime. I should have a permanent fix soon.)

1 comment:

Ken Lasch said...

Last week I turned 40 and as part of the process of reaching another one of those ages with a 0 on the end I decided to take a look at what I should do differently with my health and exercise.
I really recommend Fit over 40 to keep your motivation

Check out my Blog:
fitover40club.blogspot.com