Thursday, July 31, 2008

(Another) Wake Up Call

I've lost a considerable amount of weight. I've kept it off for over a year. I'm in the middle of a program that will culminate in me being able to perform one hundred continuous push ups. All good things, things that I never envisioned for myself at the beginning of 2006 before I started down this path.

None of that means a thing when I get cocky and start to get lazy with the good habits that brought me that success in the first place. Unfortunately I've been playing fast and loose with those habits again and I need to tighten things up a bit. I could trot out a whole bunch of excuses, many a few of them valid ones, but the bottom line is that I need to get my rear in gear and do the things that I know I need to do.

I realized this last month when I began the Back To Basics Boot Camp. I realized it again last night when I sat down with a cup of coffee and two different bags of Oreo cookies. I don't even like Oreos.

This isn't even about my weight. I'm still within the weight range I want to be. It's about being mindful, being aware and not falling back into my old destructive eating habits. I want to eat healthy foods and be active. I just need to remember that the things that I want to happen won't happen unless I actually do something about them.

I'm not ready to continue the Boot Camp right now, but I am ready to start making better choices by making today a day free of processed foods. That should get me started in the right direction.

Push Up Update

I've also been forgetting to update my progress on the Hundred Push Up Challenge. I've completed the first two days of Week Two, completing sets of 12, 12, 9, 7 and 22 on Day One and sets of 16, 13, 11, 11 and 30 push ups on Day Two. Day Three is tomorrow, then I do an exhaustion test to determine what level I'll start with in Week Three.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Where to begin? That can be the hardest question to answer. I think beginning with cutting out processed food is an excellent idea. And what a great time of year to do it with all the fresh foods available and especially in the Garden State! I know you will do well.

new*me said...

I think once you are at goal, you really have to see that it isn't just a weight issue, but giving your body healthy foods for fuel rather than junk. I think if you focus on eating healthfully for a strong, young body you will sail on!

Andrew is getting fit said...

One thing I've noticed is that you have to be eternally vigilant. It is so very easy to slip back into our previous bad habits.

skinnybitch said...

Yep, I know what you're talking about. I'm still struggling to figure out how to do this maintenance thing. It's tough deciding when to be "strict" with myself and when to loosen up a little. I've learned I can't be strict all the time or I start to waste away. But if I loosen up too much, I wind up putting on more pounds than I want.

It's a delicate balance. If you're having trouble finding that balance, rest assured you're not alone.

Skinny Guy said...

Thanks, everyone. I as I noted in today's post, I think avoiding processed foods is really going to be the key for me. The tough part is that I'm the only one in the house trying to avoid them, so there's plenty of showdowns between me and the junk I'm trying to avoid.