Saturday, July 26, 2008

Good Vibrations, Vega-Table Style

I've been a casual fan of the Beach Boys for about as long as I've been listening to music. Between the car songs, the surf songs and the girl songs, it pretty much covers all the important topics.

I recently came across Smile, Beach Boy Brian Wilson's legendary project that was shelved in 1966 and finally released in 2004. While listening to Smile, I came across the song Vega-Tables, which cause a great big grin to spread across my face:

I'm gonna be 'round my vegetables.
I'm gonna chow down my vegetables.
I love you most of all, my favorite vegetable

If you brought a big brown bag of them home,
I'd jump up and down and hope you'd toss me a carrot-

With lyrics like that, I'm sure many of you reading this feel the same way. Incidentally, if you'd like to hear the entire song, the Amazon.com MP3 store has it available for download for just 99 cents.

The song ends with an invitation for the listener to share the name of their favorite vegetable:
I know that you'll feel better when you send us in your letter.
And tell us the name of your...Your favorite vegetable.

So I invite you to do the same! Leave a comment with the name of you favorite, and how you like to prepare it.

My favorite is a big, ripe Jersey tomato. I have two favorite ways to enjoy them. I'll either just cut one up into nice thick slices sprinkled with some black pepper, or I'll whip up a tomato, cucumber and onion salad with a little bit of black pepper, oregano and basil drizzled with some olive oil and red wine vinegar.

How about you?

Before I forget, I also completed Week One of the Hundred Pushup Challenge (again). My results for this week are below. For more information about the Challenge, click here.

My Hundred Pushup Challenge:


























































Week 1Set 1Set 2Set 3Set 4Set 5
Day 11010867+
Monday10108626
Day 21212101010+
Wednesday1212101023
Day 31513101015+
Friday1513101021

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I would have to agree that the tomato is my favorite vegetable. There are so many types and they are so versatile...but there is nothing nothing better than a warm fresh-picked beauty with a little salt.

Andrew is getting fit said...

My favourite vegetable has to be the potato. Deep fried with aoli sauce...

But for proper vegetable it has to be broccoli. I just love em.

skinnybitch said...

Mine would have to be arugula. I like nothing better than a giant arugula salad.

Skinny Guy said...

Yummm... A coworker just brought me a bag filled with some home-grown zucchini and grape tomatoes. Looks like today is going to be a good day to get back on track!

Thanks for the comments, everyone!