Saturday, August 2, 2008

On A Roll (Just Not Eating It)

On Thursday I wrote that I was ready to start making better choices in order to avoid returning to my old eating habits. The plan was to make Thursday a day free of processed foods. How did I do? I wasn't perfect, if that's what you want to know. My only deviation from the plan was when my wife and daughter ordered fried mozzarella sticks at the restaurant we visited for dinner and I gave in.

Friday was a slightly better day in that my only transgressions were bread related: an English muffin at breakfast and croutons in my lunchtime salad. Nothing to really get concerned about.

So far, so good today. Just one slice of bread so far and dinner plans for tonight don't look like they should pose any problems at all.

I think that avoiding processed foods and substituting them with real foods is actually going to be the difference in whether or not I'll actually be able to maintain a healthy weight in the long run. When I'm eating real, whole foods I find that I don't miss the most of the foods I'm trying to avoid unless they're right in front of me.

It's not always a struggle that I win, but as long as I'm trying, I should do just fine.

Push Up Update

I'm sailing right along with the Hundred Push Up Challenge. Yesterday I completed Day Three of Week Two with sets of 15, 15, 12, 12 and 30. Today I did the exhaustion test scheduled for the end of Week Two, completing 36 good form push ups. That will put me in the third column for Week Three, which looks like it will be a killer. I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

4 comments:

carla said...

oooh and breakfast transgressions (that word made me smile) are far better as youve all day long to burn em off!

MizFit

TB--Milwaukee said...

Kinda gave up with the push ups after week 2...week 3 looked intimidating and sadly I just haven't been up to it.

Andrew is getting fit said...

Well done on the pushups!

And yes, ditching the processed foods is probably a good idea.

Skinny Guy said...

Hi Carla, thanks for stopping by!

As you guys can read in my latest post, Week 3 did indeed start giving me a hard time from the get-go, but I'm going to try and hang in there, at least for now.