Saturday, October 4, 2008

How To Refocus Your Weight Loss Efforts

Even before my last weigh in, it was obvious to me that I needed to get back to all those healthy habits I had recently abandoned. As I'm sure most of you know, regaining that discipline can be a daunting proposition. The steps I list below are the ones that I'm using to get back to where I need to be, and I think they can help you as well.

Stop - The first rule to follow should you find that you're digging yourself into a deep hole is to stop digging! If you don't put it in your mouth, it can't show up on the scale. There's no waiting for tomorrow or next week either; put the fork down and back away from the table!

Let Go - Believe it or not, you're only human. Beating yourself up about those cookies last night or that extra serving at Mom's or even the fast food breakfast you've had every day for the last two weeks is a no-win game. Guilt is a destructive thing; you deserve better, especially from yourself!

Review - Everyone has had some measure of success at some point in their life. Take a look at your successes. It doesn't matter whether they're related to weight loss. Remember how you felt and the attitude you had when you achieved them. You did it before and you can do it again, no matter what the situation is.

Apply - It's not enough to just review those successes. You need to take action. It doesn't matter what you do or even how much you do, as long as you're taking steps in a positive direction. Whether it's one less snack a day, a daily walk after dinner or just keeping a food journal, the key is to start doing something.

Build - Every small success you have when trying to get back into the groove is an important part of reaching your goal. In your efforts to build a new, healthier you, those small successes are like bricks. Use them to build a strong foundation and before you know it you will be back in control and wondering what all the fuss was about!

I hope these steps give you the push that you need to get back on track. I know they've got me off too a good start!

9 comments:

Kathy said...

What a great post! Simple and so true! I'm putting it on the door of my fridge today!
Like the new picture, too!

Andrew is getting fit said...

Great post! Sometimes you need to read something like this to help you get that boost you need to get restarted.

TB--Milwaukee said...

I like the new picture too.

Congrats to the Phillies. At least the Brewers lasted longer than the Cubbies. Can't wait till Spring.

john - from fat to fit said...

Great post! Right now it's the stop phase that has me baffled - I'll be doing good all day and then WHAMMO - multiple bad things in the mouth.

skinnybitch said...

Hey Skinny Guy,

Just checking in to say hi. I hope everything is going ok.

Lou said...

Zanthras, how are you doing? I figured it was time I said hi. Redbeardedbear could use a few post of yours every now and then.

I am almost at goal and I even started to work for WW this week.

WI for me is tomorrow and if all goes well I might hit goal. Wish me luck. You can always catch up with me at GoaD or redbeardedbear we do miss you and it would be great to see you posting again on either board.

Lou(cnn)

Kathy said...

Just passing by to see if you might be out in the yard raking leaves and I might be able to wave at you and scatter the leaves a little!!!

skinnybitch said...

Skinny Guy,

What's up? Long time no post. I hope everything's ok.

Robin

Heather said...

Thank you for this post. I know it was over a year ago, but it really inspired me today and I needed that.