Monday, January 5, 2009

2009 Goal #1: Run A 5K

[It is traditional for nearly everyone to make resolutions or set goals for the new year. Over the next few posts, I will be discussing my top goals for 2009.]

Back in 2007, I participated in my first official 5K race. I walked the entire way. Last year I tried another 5K and managed to run about half the distance and even managed not to come in last! So this year my goal is to run an entire 5K race from start to finish.

The 5K I've chosen is the Shirley Mae Run in Atlantic City, NJ which benefits the Shirley Mae Breast Cancer Assistance Fund, a non-profit that benefits patients in Southeastern New Jersey who have been diagnosed with breast cancer and who demonstrate financial need. This is the same 5K I participated in last year, and I'm looking forward to doing it again.

Traditionally held the day before Mother's Day on the Atlantic City Boardwalk, the Shirley Mae Run (and the Gilda's Club Walk) celebrates the survivors of breast cancer while remembering those that have passed. It's a great event for a great cause.

As the spring draws closer I'll be formulating my training plan, but at the moment I'm leaning towards the popular Couch to 5K program (C25K) that can be found at the Cool Running web site. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

Tomorrow: Goal #2: Lose the Fat

4 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

If I could do it I'm sure you can!

Kathy said...

Good cause and a do-able challenge!

Skinny Guy said...

Thanks! I know I can do it, I just need to make sure I get myself physically ready so I don't get hurt or have an excuse to NOT do it.

john - from fat to fit said...

I had this is a goal for 2008 and didn't make it. Really want to do one in 2009 and I'm thinking that registering right now is the way to go...