Wednesday, June 3, 2009

One Priority At A Time

Last night's plan for dinner was fettuccine Alfredo. Knowing that "fettuccine Alfredo" is the Italian phrase for "avalanche of calories," I opted instead to start off with a small salad, then I made a large stir fry of mixed frozen veggies and diced ham steak seasoned the way I like with a very small portion of the pre-Alfredo fettuccine mixed in.

It was actually a very tasty and filling meal. I also had a few small pieces of the garlic bread that was on the table. Then I topped the meal off with two, maybe three, forks full of the Alfredo-drenched pasta.

As I sat there afterwards I reflected on my meal. Yes, I ate more than I intended. I certainly know that I could have done without the garlic bread and the extra pasta. It was then that I decided that I had a very successful day.

Yesterday was a successful day for me because I didn't eat any junk food. Even though I had large dinner that included a few not-so-healthy choices, my priority for the day was to stay in the "No Junk Zone" that I've been in since Monday. Because that was my only priority, I didn't consider my dinnertime choices as setbacks to my attempt to get back on track.

In time I will expand my priorities to once again include portion control and better choices in my food selection. But for now I'm taking it one day and one priority at a time.

1 comment:

skinnybitch said...

Hey there, Skinny! Just checking in after my ridiculously long hiatus. I hope you're doing well.